Professor and Associate Department Head
Recreation and Sport Management
|RSM 415||Facility Planning and Development|
|RSM 430||Organization and Administration of Recreation Services|
|RSM 508||Research Methods|
|RSM 510||Financial Aspects of Sport|
|RSM 511||Personnel Management|
|RSM 515||Philosophical and Conceptual Foundations of Recreation|
|RSM 555||Facility Planning and Development|
|RSM 556||Religion and Sport in Global Society|
- Religious socialization as a constraint to recreation and sport participation; professionalization of sport chaplaincy
- Structural barriers to career advancement for minorities and women in recreation and sport organizations
- Institutional evil
- Professional issues in sports chaplaincy (professional identity development, training and registration/certification)
|DMin||United Theological Seminary||Pastoral Care and Counseling|
|MDiv||Pittsburgh Theological Seminary||Pastoral Care and Counseling|
|PhD||Michigan State University||Parks & Recreation Administration|
|MPA||University of Michigan||Public Administration|
|MA||Central Michigan University||Recreation and Parks Administration|
|BS||Ferris State University||Recreation Administration & Rehabilitative Recreation|
EXPERIENCE (Last 15 years)
The University of Tennessee, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor
Columbus, OH, Federal Empowerment Zone, Vice President, Programs and Operations
The integration of theory and philosophy with “real world” application is critical to the preparation of the next wave of practitioners and academicians. I am big proponent of “transformative learning.” Students are encouraged to develop a “world view” about the profession and their chosen area of practice. Being cognizant of students’ varied learning styles, students are challenged to think creatively and independently to address current and future issues confronting the recreation and sport industry.
- 2017 Literary Award, Christian Society for Kinesiology, Leisure and Sport Studies
- Service Award – Board of Directors (2015), Christian Society for Kinesiology, Leisure and Sport Studies
- Faculty Senate Mentoring Award, College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences (2015)
- Meritorious Service Award, Board of Directors, Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (2015)
- Meritorious Service Award, Knox County, Chairman, Knox County Parks and Recreation Board, 2013
- Diplomate (Fellow), Sports Pastoral Counseling, International Sports Professionals Association, 2013
- Madge M. Phillips Professional Service Award, KRSS, The University of Tennessee, 2013
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- An exploration of constraints to career mobility among African Americans in recreation and sport organizations
- Institutional evil and its impact on the culture of recreation and sport organizations
- An examination of the relationship between the religiosity and spirituality of black fathers who were former high-performing athletes and the religiosity and spirituality of their children engaged in college sports
- Compassion fatigue and sports chaplains
- Chair, Mentoring Committee, College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
- Board of Directors, Project GRAD Knoxville
- Board Member, International Sports Chaplaincy Federation
- Editorial Board: Journal of Unconventional Parks, Tourism, and Recreation Research; Journal of Public Management and Social Policy; Journal of the Christian Society for Kinesiology, Leisure and Sport Studies; The Cyber Journal of Applied Leisure and Recreation Research; International Journal of Sport Management, Recreation & Tourism, Schole’; Journal of Hospitality Leisure, Sport, and Tourism Education
Waller, S., Trendafilova, S., & Daniell, R. (2015). Did the 2012 world series positively impact the image of Detroit?: Sport as a transformative agent in changing images of tourism destinations. Journal of Sport & Tourism. DOI: 10.1080/14775085.2015.1017518.
Waller, S.N., Norwood, D.M., Spearman, L., & Polite, F.G. (2016). Black female olympic athletes in the U.S. 1968-present: How far have they come? An ‘elite’ interview with madeline manning-mims. Sport Science Review, XXV (1-2) 53-74.
Spearman, L., Norwood, D., & Waller, S. (2016). Does the cream rise to the top?: NCAA Division I players perceptions of meritocracy in baseball. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 10(2), 1-19.
Waller, S.N., Wozencroft, A.J., & Scott, J.L. (2016) Compassion fatigue among disability camp staff: An exploratory study. Annals of Leisure Research, 19(2), 1-16. DOI:10.1080/11745398.2016.1162724.
Waller, S., & Martin, V. (2016). Research note: Religious doctrine and its influence on the choice to gamble as a leisure pastime among african american methodists. Leisure Studies, 0(0), 1-11. DOI: 10.1080/02614367.2016.1203351.
Waller, S.N. (2016). Chaplain or sports chaplain first? Why identity formation should matter to sports chaplains. Practical Theology, 9(3), 242-257.
Waller, S.N. , Huffman, L.T., & Hardin, R. (2016). The sport chaplains’ role in the holistic care model for collegiate athletes in the United States, Practical Theology, 9(3), 226-241.
Picariello, M., & Waller, S.N. (2016). The importance of role modeling in mentoring women: Lessons from Pat Summitt’s legacy. Physical Culture and Sport: Studies and Research, LXXI, 5-13.
Waller, S. (2017). “Fist, feet and faith”: An ‘elite’ interview with ‘Fight Church’ Pastor Jude Roberts-Part II. Sport in Society, 20(9), 1241-1258.
Wozencroft, A.J., Waller, S.N., & Kiernozek, K* (2017). Perceived leisure constraints of parents and caregivers of children with disabilities. Journal of Unconventional Parks, Tourism and Recreation Research, 7(1), 2-10.
WEBSITES OF INTEREST
- The Academy of Leisure Sciences (TALS)
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- American Society for Public Administration (ASPA)
- Christian Society for Kinesiology, Leisure and Sport Studies (CSKLS)
- National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)
- North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM)
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS)
- Tennessee Recreation and Park Association (TRPA)