Thornton Athletics Student Life Center
Student-Athlete Development – Programs & Events Internship/Practicum
Thornton Center Mission Statement
We foster the pursuit of comprehensive excellence through the holistic development of each student-athlete. We cultivate champions for life by maintaining a culture of integrity, utilizing an innovative approach, and displaying leadership while honoring and fulfilling the volunteer spirit. We are Thornton!
The Student-Athlete Development program at the University of Tennessee Athletic Department is designed to prepare student-athletes at the University of Tennessee for life after the completion of their collegiate careers. Experience with community service, internships, on-campus organizations, part-time or summer jobs, and networking are examples demonstrating a well-roundedness that will allow student-athletes to stand out as potential employees and/or graduate school applicants. It is our mission to support University of Tennessee student-athletes in both their academic and athletic endeavors and assist in preparation for the next phase of their lives.
This practicum/internship will provide students with an opportunity to learn about the area of student-athlete development while enhancing their communication and organization skills. Student-athlete development consists of coordinating community outreach opportunities as well as teaching leadership skills, professional development, and character development. This position will focus on programs and events (VOLoween, Holiday Dinner, Read across America Day, Movie Night, and VOLSCARS).
Objectives of Internship/Practicum:
- Obtain a working knowledge of how to best collaborate with campus departments (students and staff) with the purpose of ultimately coordinating and hosting an event.
- Be able to plan community outreach events of all sizes (up to 300 guests). Details to include communication with organizations and student-athletes, arranging transportation, soliciting for feedback after the event, etc.
- Think creatively about ways to improve the coordination and organization when recruiting student-athletes for community outreach events.
- Gain an understanding and appreciation for the administrative work and relationships necessary for a positive working environment.
Duties of Intern/Practicum Student:
- Participate in monthly student-athlete development team meetings.
- Assist in the coordination of all facets of major community outreach events and annual awards banquet.
- Research ways to improve the branding of our program.
- Help manage and coordinate community outreach requests.
- Solicit for feedback from organizers and participants of all events and catalog responses.
Interested candidates should contact Lynsey Miller, Thornton Center Internship Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or 865-974-8884.