[Note: If you are interested in applying, let me (Dr. Dzikus) now. I worked in the department. It is a great place with aswesome people.]
The University of Dayton Department of Health and Sport Science is seeking applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor to join our dynamic, academically diverse and collegial team. The HSS Department and UDare committed to the whole-person development of competent and skilled future professionals. We are seekingindividuals who are student-centered in their teaching, produce meaningful and engaging scholarship and servetheir academic community. Responsibilities of this position include teaching classes to students interested in avariety of health professions, including: physical therapy, physician assistant, occupational therapy, dietetics,and health and wellness. HSS faculty engage in advisement with students on academic and professionalprogress and plans. Thus the preferred candidate will be willing to maintain current knowledge on trends and changes in postgraduate health-related educational programs (e.g. Physical and Occupational Therapy, PhysicianAssistant, Athletic Training, etc). In addition, the department has a teaching need in movement sciences (e.g.Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Motor Learning). The preferred candidate will have an interest in continuing to shape a pre-physical therapy degree program that consistently produces graduates that are highly competitive fordoctoral programs. Candidates should be capable of performing research and scholarship that is publishable in peer-reviewed journals and that ideally, engages undergraduate and graduate students. In addition, otherl eadership and service to department, school, university and profession is expected. This 9-month, full timeposition will begin August 16, 2018.
The University of Dayton, founded in 1850 by the Society of Mary, is a top ten Catholic research university. The University seeks outstanding, diverse faculty and staff who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence in teaching, research and artistic creativity, the development of the whole person, and leadership and service in the local and global community.
Dayton is the fourth largest metropolitan area in Ohio, with approximately 800,000 residents in the Miami Valley. The area is home to defense, healthcare, and education industries and is richly entwined in the history of aviation. Housing and cost of living in this Midwestern area is below the national average and in 2017, Dayton was named the “Best Rebirth of the American Dream” by Outside Magazine.
- ABD in the Health Sciences (i.e. exercise science, exercise physiology, kinesiology);
- Articulated ability to teach undergraduates in area of expertise;
- Articulated potential to advise undergraduate and graduate students in research projects;
- Articulated knowledge of and involvement in professional community;
- Articulated ability to conduct publishable research for peer-reviewed journals;
- Interest in university, school, and department activities, or engagement in community orprofessional service;
- Effective written communication skills.
- Ph.D. in Health Sciences (i.e. exercise science, exercise physiology, kinesiology);
- Demonstrated ability to teach graduate students in area of expertise;
- Successful experience in curriculum and program review and program development;
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and changes in postgraduate health-related educational programs;
- Interest in continuing to shape a pre-physical therapy degree program that consistently produces highly competitive graduates;
- Clinical and/or industry experience in area of expertise;
- Successful experience in academic advising and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students;
- Record of scholarly productivity including publications and professional presentations;
- Demonstrated ability to develop meaningful and productive external research collaborations;
- Demonstrated research agenda;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative/collegial environment;
- Willingness to engage in Quality Matters online training and course design;
- Affinity for the values central to Marianist education including diversity and social justice.
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
Candidates should submit the following: letter of application addressing qualifications, accomplishments, andinterest in the position; curriculum vitae; informal transcripts of all coursework in area of expertise; and name,phone number and email address of three professional references. The references may be contacted during theapplication process. Additionally, candidates are required to submit Philosophy of Teaching and Description ofResearch Program statements. The Philosophy of Teaching statement should be a 1-2 page narrative describing the candidate’s approach to student learning and engagement within a health science course. The Philosophy ofTeaching and Description of Research Program statements should describe how the candidate’s teaching andresearch align with the mission of the university. Applications must be submitted electronically to:http://jobs.udayton.edu/postings/24687 and received by December 8, 2017. Candidates selected for campus interviews will be expected to demonstrate teaching knowledge and skills to university students and present current research work to faculty, graduate students, and administration. If you have questions about the application process, please e-mail Dr. Jon Linderman, chair of the search committee at email@example.com.
To attain its Catholic and Marianist mission, the University is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion and affirmative action and to equal opportunity policies and practices. As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, we will not discriminate against minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, or on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.